Thursday, February 7, 2013

Those Games I Played: Part I

Clawing its way back from the depths of unupdated bloggery, it's the EsteBlog! Allow me to regale you with my thoughts on those games that I've played in recent memory. They won't be full reviews, and they will be light on descriptions of the game. I mostly just want to share my opinions.




Ni no Kuni: Most pertinent in my mind since I'm actively playing this one. My experience with JRPGs is light (didn't like them as a kid, and they take so long that I try to space them out as an adult), but it's a genre I have a good affinity for, and it shows in my love for Ni no Kuni. The atmosphere and graphics are very engrossing and really show-off the HD capabilities of the PS3. (a hell of a lot more than the various browns and grays of *insert generic AAA shooter here*) The plot is relatively straightforward but in the same way really refreshing. Fans of Studio Ghibli however may be disappointed, because the game is light on the much-touted 2D animated cutscenes.

The gameplay has its good and bad points. Exploration is slow at first but picks up with the addition of travel spells and other modes of transportation later. The battle system is decently complex, and the enemy types are many and interesting. One of the unfortunate failings of the system is the respawn rate of enemy monsters. It really discourages exploration when after fighting down a dead-end path for a treasure chest, you have to fight your way back again. Also, after coming off of Xenoblade Chronicles (more on that another time), the sidequests are refreshingly varied.

It is a rather classically-inspired JRPG. Exploring areas takes a while because of the many enemies along the way. Battles begin with a fanfare, and end with an experience-gained breakdown. If you don't like JRPGs, even if the world might entice you, you're gonna find yourself bored before long. However, if you enjoy the genre and want a world bursting at the seams with character and charm, do give it a try. Youer good pal, Drippy, Lord High Lord of the Fairies, is more 'en enough reason to give it a go, en't it?




Pokémon Black Version 2: Naturally, being the Pokemon devotee that I am, I couldn't pass up Black 2. Despite revisiting the region of Unova, much has changed. It is well deserving of the number 2. If you think Black 2 is to Black as Platinum is to Diamond, you are mistaken. There are no new Pokemon, however.

There are many new areas to explore. Lentimas Town is especially groovy. Castelia Sewers brings the return of everyone's favourites, Rattata and Zubat. Victory Road is a lot more interesting as well. Most of the same areas from Pokemon Black and White return, however with the addition of many new areas it really feels that 2 years have passed.

Much of the side games have been kept intact; Pokemon Musicals, the Entralink, the Xtransceiver, and Battle Subway all remain. The game really shines with the additions. PokeStar Studios lets you produce movies by placing you in various scenarios where you have to win a battle while saying the right lines and meeting the requirements of the scripts. Pokemon World Tournament, basically fan dreams incarnate, lets you challenge gym leaders and champions from Unova and all regions past, complete with their appropriate battle music. Entralink missions have been completely revamped into Funfest missions, allowing you to work together with friends to get Pass Orbs and all sorts of other bonus items. Join Avenue allows you to build and manage a shopping district, which you can then use to buy all sorts of items for cheap, raise Pokemon stats and happiness, and even hatch eggs faster. There's way more content here than any Pokemon game preceding it. If that comes at the cost of reusing assets and maps, then I'm all for it.

Of course, I couldn't not mention my favourite new feature: the Medal Rally. For the first time, Pokemon has an achievement system built in to the game. 255 medals to earn and collect! My completionist personality conflicts with the impracticality of getting them all. My interest in the game is waning at the moment as other games crop up to distract me, but I suspect I'm not done with this game just yet. There are still 8 more months until Pokemon X and Y come out, after all.

But yeah, I recommend this game to anyone, fan of Pokemon or not. Because of the quantity and variety of things to do, I consider it the best introduction to Pokemon currently available. That opinion might change when X and Y come out (3D is naturally more accessible), but for now, if you want to see what the fuss is with Pokemon, dive into Pokemon Black 2 or White 2.


This is really just the start of what I've played, but I don't want to make this post too long. More game talk coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment